Monday, October 22, 2018

Making Terrain for Kill Team

Hello there again, over the past week I have been putting together a few square foot boards for a base to play kill team on. The idea is that they are all a foot and if you put more together you can have different "dirt" for your units to walk across. As well as for when I go to build my 6' x 4' table and have all the right textures!


Here we start out with five 12"x 12" sheets of 1/8" balsa wood from any craft store, I did cut the last one in half to flush out the whole length of 30".

Next, I applied plaster of paris to the boards and it turned out alright, next time I would avoid using the plaster of ze french only because it is pretty brittle and between moving the pieces around I noticed a lot of chipping. On the next batch of boards I just used Spackle from a jar and dabbed it onto the boards and it turned out perfect. Look for that coming soon.

On this step we channel our inner McJagger and paint everything black, now I did mix a little bit of sand (I use chinchilla sand). This is just plain old apple bottom paints, I bought the largest containers of black and white for all my terrain making.

Air brush all the top layers with grey leading into way too much white, but it's okay we can just wash it all down with super thin black paint.

Winter is coming.

Here is the after of the black wash, it really toned all that white down and gives it a nice city feel.

I need to crank out some more terrain for the board, so look for all that coming soon.

Making terrain is always a fun way to spend a day or weekend, you can never have too much terrain. I have a nice back drop for my future articles on tactics and so on, as always if you have any suggestions or comments, let me know what I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment